Friday, July 29, 2005

LOVE AND BEAUTY-1


AN ANTHOLOGY OF PERSIAN POETRY FROM 17TH CENTURY
(Selected and translated by Asef Fekrat)

HONEY-MILK

Thy silver of body
Like shelled fresh almond
How can I praise thy oval eyes?
***
Thy lips and teeth – when you talk
Are mixed honey with milk

READY

Thy cheeks’ roses
Wet of sweat dew
Thy lips
Buds, ready to kiss

ENVY

Dying of envy
How can I look at cup of wine!
Kisses her lips
Resigns its being

JUJUBE

Jujubes of thy lips
Prescribed for lover’s fever

CHILDISH 

Among fairs
I’m fond of a childish one
Allows a kiss
Wants it back

HURT

Thy lips are hurt
Woe is me!
Drank the wine
Broke the cup

TASTE

Allow a kiss from lips
Another from cheeks
I’ll tell you
Which was the best?

PROFITABLE

Snatching a kiss
A profitable theft
Is double
If retake

PARROTS 

Your smile in the rose-garden
Turns the leaves
Into sweet-spoken parrots

OVERJOYING

The bud is overjoying
It’s told
Looks like your mouth

BUD AND CEDAR

The bud saw thy lips
Dares not to laugh
The cedar saw thy stature
Dares not to boast

DESSERT-LESS
How long can I drink dessert- less?
I am thirsty for thy lips
Serve wine- with dessert

SWEET DEATH

Sweetest death forever
Kissing thy lips
Submitting my soul

EYELASH

The eyelash turned up
Told the eyebrow:
Our arrow
Doesn't need a bow

EARLY MORNING

Stood by my side
Early morning
Enlightening-enlivening
Like the sunshine
Upon a poor grass

FLOWING WATER

My life passed
All in your thought
Like flowing water
In flowers’ shade

GOD’S BLESSING
Is your collar open?
Or the door of God’s blessing?

No comments: